Thursday, August 22, 2013

I Haven't Slept in 7 Weeks (A Baby J 7 Week Update)

Remember when I did Baby J's 5 week update and said I was going to do these updates every week so I could remember how fast he was changing?  So yeah... I guess that was a little ambitious on my part?  Once every 2 weeks will have to do.

Having a baby is still HARD.  That hasn't changed at all.  Not-one-bit.  But he's just so freaking PRECIOUS which makes up for the tough times.  

First trip chancing eating at a real restaurant.  Thankfully it was a success.

So let's recap.

Baby J's Health:  Baby J remains a MONSTER BABY.  We like to pretend he's like a roaring giant growling in a low voice "MOOORREEEEEE".  Maybe you had to be there.  Anyway, at 1 month he weighed 9 lbs 12.5 ozs, and by our less accurate scale he weighed 11.3 pounds at 6 weeks and 12.4 pounds at 7 weeks.  That's right, he's pretty much doubled his lowest body weight (6 pounds 3 ozs).  MONSTER. 

Yep, I'm a monster!

He had a case of baby acne that's cleared up nicely as has a blocked tear duct in his right eye that was causing all kind of goo to come out of his eye.  He does seem to be getting some cradle cap on his scalp now though.

My Health:  Have I mentioned I still haven't slept?  Yep, that's 7 weeks and counting.  I also haven't lost any more weight.  I've kind of given up on that though, honestly.  Not forever, just for now.  Honestly, you can't expect me to not only not sleep, but also deal with a screaming baby, and be ravenous all the time from breast feeding, AND STILL expect me to not eat dessert. 

While it really makes me mad I don't fit into my old clothes, I know it will happen someday and there's no reason to stress about it now.  I've accepted the wise words of most other people, who've said: "It took you 9 months to put on the weight, give yourself 9 months to take it off".  Most of the ladies who were pregnant at the same time as I seem to have easily lost all of the weight, and it's hard not to compare myself to them, but that's just my dumb pride talking.  I doubt anyone else really cares about my belly flab except me.  And if you do care - kindly shut your trap! 

I HAVE been running though!  I think that deserves a post all its own though... but I've ran 5 miles without walking twice now! 

Sleeping:  There has been some improvement in this area, though not a lot.  Again, others' similarly-aged babies seem to be giving them 5-6 hours of blissful sleep, and we're nowhere near that.  But we are sometimes (inconsistently) getting a longer stretch of 4-ish hours, which is lovely after the 2-hour stretches I was writing about at 5 weeks. 


That's the good nights though.  It's still hit or miss.  He still seems to suffer from something, whether it's gas or reflux or a dairy allergy or just plain colic or something else I'm not sure, but there are nights where he just screams constantly for hours.  The "witching hour(s)" are usually between 6-10.  It's hard to take, let me tell you.  Poor little guy is just so sad, it just breaks your heart you can't help him.  Last night this went on until midnight, and since I had to go to work today it was REALLY rough!  We've tried gas drops and me giving up caffeine - neither seem to have much of an effect, so I'm toying with giving up dairy now to see if that helps.  I REALLY like dairy. 

I hate you guys.

Napping:  Again, there has been some improvement, but not a lot.  He has taken a few naps in his *gasp* crib!  Not just his pack n' play, but his crib! 

Sleeping in the crib!

He also still regularly naps either in the Ergo or the car seat.  Other times though he'll be sleeping peacefully in your arms and then WIDE AWAKE as soon as you put him down.  It's a bit frustrating!

Yeah Mom, I'm awake.

Eating:  He eats a lot.  This hasn't changed.  Though we're getting some longer stretches of sleep at night, he's still eating pretty consistently about 10 times a day.  I had hoped this might decrease to around 8 but that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon. 

Pumping:  Pumping is no longer the worst.  I can tolerate it.  I actually think I'm becoming kind of obsessed with building up my freezer stash!  I get really excited when I get 5+ ounces (sometimes I only get 3 though and then I'm really disappointing since that's not really even one whole feeding).  Yeah, you can say it, I'm a weirdo.  It's still hard to fit it in though since I can't pick up Baby J while I'm pumping, and Baby J always seems to "know" I just pumped and wants to eat as soon as I drain those puppies!  I also pumped at work for the first time yesterday and IT WAS WEIRD.  WEIRD I tell you.  

J's Likes:  Houston, we're getting SMILES!  FINALLY!  Not very often, but they are there!  We're also getting much more quiet alert "happy" times, while before he was pretty much only eating, sleeping, or crying.  He can track faces and makes eye contact now and has even been making sounds that aren't crying, which I guess people call "cooing".  It's precious and adorable and I love it.  He gave JMan the BIGGEST GRIN EVER tonight and it was probably the #1 most adorable thing I've ever seen.  Now it's my mission in life to get one of those directed at me.  :-)

 My poor attempt at capturing one

He's also actually starting to look at the toys dangling from his play mat and he LOVES to kick his feet and "play the piano".  I wonder where he got his love of kicking from?!


He still LOVES to take baths (who wouldn't enjoy a baby hammock in a hot tub??) but HATES when he's taken out.  Then he screams bloody murder.

Big belly

Finally, I was pretty certain Baby J looked EXACTLY like JMan.  I still stand by that thought.  Except then I also saw this:


And now I'm off to try and get some sleep...