Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Rush 10k Race Report

Oh hello.  Did you miss me?  Probably not! 

I've been doing a lot of nothing resting since the Seattle Half.  Although Runcember is kicked off and running (and I'm kind of regretting it everyday I have to force myself off the couch just to get in that mile!) it had seemed December would possibly be RESTcember as well.  As in, let's fix this freakin' hamstring once and for all, shall we?

Anyway, so although I deemed the Seattle Half the end of 2012's running season, I was technically signed up for one final race: The Christmas Rush 10k.  This would be my 4th time running the race, it's one of my home-town small-time favorites, and I didn't want to miss, but I figured I could just walk the 5k instead if necessary. 

So anyway, there we were, Saturday morning in the crisp cold air ready to "run" a race.  Kerrie, Erika, and Jennifer joined Jordanne and I, and all of a sudden, unready as usual, we were off! 


There's not much to report about the race itself, especially since it was far from a "race".  It was flat and they made it a loop this year instead of an out-and-back which I LOVED.  The race seemed to have doubled in size since last year though, it better not become too big for its britches!


I stayed with Jordanne until about 3.5, when I was dying for a walk break, so I forced her to go on ahead.  I walked again through the 1 water stop and ashamedly again with less than a half mile to go.  Some lady passed me during this walk break and was like "COME ON WE'RE ALMOST THERE" and I can't believe how much I hated her in that instant.  It reminded me of all the times I've said similar things with ONLY the best intentions!  Ugh, I was shooting daggers at her with my eyes.

Thanks to Kerrie for the pics!

But even with the walking I still somehow managed to get in in JUST under an hour.  Squeaking it a little close with a 59:51. 

And the hamstring?  It actually felt okay!  I don't want to get my hopes up just yet though.  I was focused heavily on taking short steps, and obviously the walk breaks.  Please let this continue. 

And NOW my 2012 racing season is officially over.