Friday, February 8, 2013

Keeping the Biggest Secret of My Life

So the word on the street is out.  The biggest secret of MY LIFE finally got let loose this week.  FINALLY.  Cooper is going to be a big brother!  I'm a little over 17 weeks along, due July 18


When I first found I was pregnant, I immediately knew I wanted it to be kept a secret.  But I did not realize in the LEAST how incredibly difficult that would be.  Keeping this secret was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

But what I knew more than anything, was that I absolutely did NOT want to get people's hopes up and then have them face that dissapointment.  There were a few people who I really wanted to tell who I probably could have.  But my parents, my in-laws, and some of our friends who I knew would be so excited and I just didn't want to let them down (Rachael and Leandrea - I'm talking to you!). 

It didn't help that my very first doctor appointment wasn't for MORE than THREE WHOLE WEEKS after I found out with those little blue lines. 

Why yes, I did take not 1, not 2, but 3 tests.  And yes, I did take a picture of them.

The waiting seemed like an eternity.  I even kept questioning - is there really a baby in there?  Even though I had about a billion pregnancy symptoms (um, hello fatigue and food aversions), I kept questioning if they were just "placebo" effects!  Yep, I'm crazy.

There were certainly times that were harder than others to keep it a secret.  We went through Thanksgiving AND Christmas with our families without telling them.  I ran the Mustache Dache, the Seattle Half Marathon, and the Christmas Rush 10k knowing I was pregnant but somehow not telling the running buddies!  Others around me were pregnant and talking about their's and I was DYING to share and especially to ask questions.  There was the work holiday Christmas party where I was one of the only people without a drink.  Michelle kept telling me to enjoy her favorite beer for her and I couldn't!  Yep, keeping secrets isn't my strong suit.

But FINALLY I got some proof that there was a baby in there after all! 

Isn't it adorable?!  :-)

So I am SO happy to finally finally FINALLY tell the world that yes, I am indeed, "in the family way".  I finally told my boss, we bought a crib, and major works on the baby's room are underway!  This is happening people!  Whether I'm ready or not...