Monday, July 22, 2013

A Three Week Post-Partum Update!

Wow, can you believe it's already been 3 weeks since Baby J was born?!?!  Time sure flies when you're not sleeping.  It's still so hard to believe that that crazy alien in my belly was that little precious baby:


You cannot tell at all from these pictures but I can't believe how much bigger he's getting already!


An update on life with a baby:
  • I don't sleep.  It's amazing I haven't been declared clinically insane yet.  I've never been a good napper and I don't even try most days, though this is something I should probably learn to do.  While I'm definitely tired, I don't feel tired enough to go to sleep.  Baby J has an annoying habit of sometimes wanting to be awake for a few hours in the middle of the night.  I think he has his days and his nights mixed up.  Please tell me how to fix this!
  • Breastfeeding HURTS.  It's way way way WAY better now, but oh man, that first week was AWFUL.  First I just had terrible terrible nipple pain, then when my milk came in can we say ENGORGEMENT?  My boobs were just ROCK HARD and could not have hurt more.  It's definitely getting better but there's definitely still pain with each and every latch and righty tends to hurt a bit more than lefty.  Too much information?!  Sorry Dad.  :-)
  • So pretty much I'm a zombie milk machine.  All I do with my life is feed Baby J it seems!  I finally attempted pumping the other day and HATED IT, but I know I need to start on my stockpile so yeah, as if I'm not spending enough of my day being a cow already!
  • Caring for a newborn is HARD.  Their little necks are so fragile and I'm just so worried I'm going to hurt him all the time.  It's SO hard to change his clothes, he screams bloody murder and getting his head through the neck hole is practically impossible.  All baby clothes should feature full length snaps or zippers.  
  • Speaking of crying bloody murder, he doesn't do much besides eat, sleep, and cry.  We're not getting much quality awake time yet which is a bit depressing.  And sometimes he'll be sleeping so soundly on you and then as soon as you lay him down, boom, he's awake.  The longest 5 minutes of your life occurs after you lay him back down to sleep at 4am just praying he'll go to sleep right away and he won't have one of "those nights".  
  • I worry about him ALL THE TIME.  I check to make sure that he's breathing in the middle of the night.  The circumcision was HORRIBLE and I immediately regretted doing it (even though he seemed no worse for wear the next day).  I don't know how people lived before they could Google all of their baby's ailments and make sure they were normal. 
  • You need to time your excursions!  As soon as Baby J is done eating - that's your 2-hour window to get anything you need to get done before he needs to eat again!  HURRY!  
  • I love him so much.  He's so precious and I feel so incredibly blessed and lucky.  How did we end up with the best baby in the world??  But, best baby in the world, please sleep more at night soon.  
 Getting the best baby AND the best pup in the world just seems too lucky?!?!

I'm still not totally sure Cooper knows what this baby character is but we're working on it...

Tell me all your baby whispering secrets.