Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Things Are Getting Better... Maybe? (A 2 Month Baby J Update)

Things are slowly getting better.  I think.  Maybe?  Probably.  

It's a take 2 steps forward, take 1 step back (or is sometimes 2-3 steps back?) kind of world with Baby J.  So it's sometimes hard to tell that things are getting better because the progress is so slow, and just when you're thinking HEY, I'VE GOT THE HANG OF THIS, Baby J smacks you on your ass with a few horrible days in a row.  Then your confidence is shot.  

But look - so cute!  My two favorite boys.

But when I look back at week 5 it's clear how incredibly much better it is now than it was then.  Even if things are iffy at times. Back then Baby J would cry pretty much any time he was awake. Putting him in the ergo was my go to move to calm him, and it happened multiple times a day. He NEVER napped. Well, you already read about it.

                                                              1 month old vs. 2 months old

Now: he naps in his crib... sometimes.


Now: he sleeps in his crib at night.  He ALWAYS sleeps in his crib at night now, which is awesome, but the "sleeping" part is still more hit or miss. 

Now: he smiles at us!... sometimes.



Now: he interacts with the world around him and will sit contentedly in his swing or on his playmat for a little bit.... sometimes. 



Now: he sleeps longer at night!.... sometimes.  While its obviously not the 8 hours I'm used to from pre-baby days, I no longer feel like a zombie... sometimes.  We had a couple really great nights in a row and then a couple of nights where it took 3+ hours to get Baby J to go to sleep.  Those nights are ROUGH.  But I haven't cried from sleep deprivation frustration in weeks (yes, that happened)!  Just by typing those words I've probably guaranteed myself a sleep-deprived evening involving crying from both Baby J and I!

Breastfeeding is MUCH better.  My nipples aren't sore, I no longer need lanolin, and pumping doesn't hurt.  I have about 30 bags of milk frozen ranging from 3-6 ounces in each, so I figure I have about 120 ounces frozen.  I feel good about that. 


Baby J will also eat his hand if milks not available.  Yum.

I can carry baby J around and he looks at stuff and doesn't cry (I'm talking about NOT in the pack!)... sometimes. 

Things are better.  Probably.  Maybe.  Sometimes they're better??!! 


A 2 month update:  Last week Baby J went in for his 2 month appointment.  Apparently our scale / weigh-in methods are a little exageratory because he only weighed 12 lbs 5 ozs at the appointment, and I was guessing it'd be more like 13.  This is the 65th percentile, about average, but considering at birth he was in the 10th percentile I think that speaks volumes for his appetite!  His height (22.5") was in the 30th percentile (weak Baby J - you're gonna have to grow a bit for your basketball career to take off!) but his head was in the whopping 90th percentile!  


We went to the appointment planning to split up his vaccinations into two appointments but ended up getting all of them before we left.  Making decisions for Baby is SO HARD.  That night was one of the really rough ones.  He screamed, no, SHRIEKED for THREE HOURS STRAIGHT.  It was a scream I've never heard from him before and I just felt so horribly for him and the obvious pain he was in.  It was traumatizing for both of us.  Once he finally went to sleep though he seemed okay when he woke up even though he slept almost the entire next day.   


This is how he really felt about going to the doctor.
Costume change courtesy of spit-up. 

Baby J also took his first trip to the beach!

Same beach, different day.  Crazy huh?


And there you have it - 2 months!