Monday, September 17, 2012

A Week of Workouts

I'm not going to lie.  And you already know all this.  But I remained annoyed about my hamstring injury.  It neither improves nor declines - it just remains annoyingly "present".

The pain is not intense but is annoying, and I know it means that at the very minimum I need to run less, run slow, and avoid speedwork and hills.  At the maximum, I probably need to rest, and clearly for more than 2 weeks since that didn't appear to help.

So, for right now, I'm continuing to run, with those prescriptions I discussed above.  Since I don't seem to be making it worse and the pain in manageable it seems more fun to finish out my year of "racing" (October Pt. Defiance Trail Race + November Half Marathon) and then rest and rehab through the crappy winter weather.  But then I REALLY want to train for something.  So maybe I should rest now.  I just don't know.

Remember this?  This was the last time running pre-hamstring issues.  I miss this. 

So, let's get down to brass tax.  My week in workouts:

Monday - 10 minutes on the elliptical + 55 minute spin class (music sucked = class sucked).

Tuesday - 6 miles around the neighborhood.  Yeah yeah yeah, it was quite a bit when coming back from 2 weeks off. 

Wednesday - Rest.  Given that I had a busy few days ahead of me this was just plain laziness.  I SHOULD have worked out.  

Thursday - No time, but got myself out there for a quick 3 miles of running with Cooper at 9:00pm at night. 

Friday - No time.  Drove 5 hours to Grand Coulee for Luke's IRONMAN (more on that later!).  It's clear: too much rest this week. 

Saturday - Tons of walking and some short and erratic running with Jordanne and Amy as we cheered Luke on at the Ironman!  Very exciting and full post to come on that.  I didn't wear a Garmin and I have no clue what our total running / walking time / distance was, but I'll guess it was at least 2 miles of running and 2 miles of walking.


Sunday - 6 miles around the neighborhood in the afternoon.  I tested out a "walk-run" method to see if that helps manage the hamstring injury.  In an hour of running I had 3 two-minute walk breaks - spread out every 15 minutes.  I may try this method out this week. 

So, that was my week.  Clearly, it was nothing to write home about.  Total running miles = approximately 17. 

How was your weekend?  What did you do?  How far did you run?