Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ever Had a Terrible Run?

First of all, who watched the Olympic Trials and LOVED.EVERY.MINUTE.OF.IT??!!  Talk about inspiring.  If you ever feel on the fence about wanting to run a marathon just watch those trials again: instant motivation.  I also succeeded in my quest to not find out who won before I watched the delayed coverage!  The runners did not disappoint - I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.  It was fabulous and I'm so happy for all of them: Shalane, Desi, Kara, Meb, Ryan, and the least known of all of them to me (I need to study up on him), Abdi.  But wow, poor Ritz and Hastings, I was nearly in tears watching them, I would truly rather get last than get 4th, 4th place is by far the worst.

So the big question remains: Should I go to watch the Olympic Marathon in LONDON?!?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's back up a bit to how I killed time before the Olympic Trials.  Around 9am I set out to run 12 miles. I had sufficiently carbo loaded with my pizza overload the night before, got a good night's sleep, and had only swam the day before. Yet despite these seemingly star-aligning-feats, this run was far from fabulous.

               That's not me.  But it's pretty much exactly like how I felt.       source.

In fact, it was downright horrifying. I am notoriously over-dressed for runs, since I hate to be cold, yet I was actually under-dressed for this one. The bitter wind cut right through my thin long sleeve and burned my face. My legs felt like lead the entire time: so heavy and impossible to pick-up / move.  I tried taking walk breaks, I tried getting water, I tried going to the bathroom.   Feeling like a complete and utter loser, I finally admitted defeat and called JMan to come pick me up.  By the time he got there, I was surprised to have actually finished 6 whole miles, since I wanted to quit after 1.  Why were my legs so freaking heavy?  Maybe it was because I hadn't watched the Olympic Trials yet?! :-)  I can only hope my next run won't be nearly so horrible.  Annnnd maybe I just need a drink.

Funny Sports Ecard: My favourite part of attending a marathon is watching the reaction of runners who grab my plastic cup of vodka.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever had a run like this?  How often does it happen to you?  And why do you think it happens?  Should I watch the Olympic Marathon in London this summer??!!