In 2011, I ran in Washington DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, Orlando, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Mexico, in the snow for the first time, and in costume for the first time.
|This is Sunriver, Oregon, one of my favorite places on EARTH, where I ran in the snow for the very first time. I took this picture on my run!|
|One of my costumes. Ignore how messy we keep our room.|
|In Bali I mastered the art of the jumping photo.|
|In Thailand I mastered the art of seeing nothing while snorkeling.|
|Hood to Coasting!|
- Be fit in more ways than just running. This is especially the case for my first quarter goals (Jan-Mar). Yoga, stretching, strength training, elliptical, swimming, I clearly need to be fit in many more ways than just running if I want to actually run. Semi-success. I will carry this on into 2012, and this is especially relevant for me now with my new Run Less, Run Faster plan.
- Lose 5-10 pounds by March 18. This goes hand and hand with #1. Since the marathon, not running coupled with eating the same amount of food has not been good for me. I need to work out, not just pout about not being able to run, since I hate working out when its not running. I'd be happy losing 5, happier losing 10. We're going to Mexico for a friend's wedding on March 18, 2011 so its a perfect swimsuit-wearing timeline, plus its 11 weeks away, which is a doable goal. Also semi-success. I did lose those pounds, but then I gained them back while in Singapore. I've lost some of those, I could lose a few more. I'm reading "Racing Weight" right now which is a really fascinating book about the best weight for racing (obviously!).
- Do a triathlon! This has been my new year's resolution for 3 years now, so I'm sucking at completing it. I WILL do a triathlon (if just a sprint!) in 2011. Complete and utter fail. For the 3rd year in a row. FAIL FAIL FAIL! I think the key here is that I just have to face the fact that I don't love to bike, and I hate to swim in open water. And oh yeah, I love to run. Running and I are definitely in an exclusive, monogamous relationship. I don't like to cheat on running. I still would like to do a triathlon, and I definitely will in my lifetime. If it doesn't happen in 2012 though, I won't be devastated. It just leaves more money/time for running races. Did I mention JMan is letting me enter the NYC Marathon Lottery?!
- Get fewer parking tickets. It would be really really nice to get fewer parking tickets in 2011. Maybe I'll aim for 3 or less. I think I got 6-8 this year. Its not good for my psyche or my wallet. SUCCESS SUCCESS SUCCESS! Perhaps this trumps #3, because while that was an utter fail, this was an UTTER SUCCESS! Not only did I get 3 or less, I got ZERO PARKING TICKETS! Yes. More money for races. Did I mention JMan is letting me enter the NYC Marathon Lottery?!
- Running goals. This is last because right now I have no idea when I'll be able to seriously run again because of this stupid ITB. But I would like to run 1,000 miles in 2011 (I'm missing it by 2.5 measely unrunnable miles right now!), do a half marathon if not a full (Newport Marathon on my birthday seems impossible now), do Hood to Coast, and get a PR in the 5K. 2011 will be the year of the 5K. DONE DONE DONE! Okay, I didn't do a full marathon, but I did not 1 but 3 half marathons, Hood to Coast, and PR'ed in the 5k (if only by the skin of my teeth). I ran over 1,000 miles (also by the skin of my teeth) and kept the evil ITB at bay (though not the evil shin splint, but that wasn't in the goal; and that's for another post).