Thursday, August 9, 2012

How to Make Blackberry Freezer Jam

I adore freezer jam.  ADORE IT.  I've been known to eat freezer jam alone straight out of the container.  Freezer jam is so amazing because the sugar to fruit ratio is pretty much 1:1.  What's not to like about pretty much eating straight sugar-fruit?!?!

After telling the world about my freezer jam making day Becky asked me what freezer jam was and I was in shock.  SHE'S NEVER HAD FREEZER JAM.  I feel so sad for her.  Before you get all amazed that I made my own, remember my complete lack of domestic skills, and then read the following recipe.  Because it doesn't get much easier than this folks.  If I can do it, you can do it. 

Step 1: Pick some blackberries.  Done.  


Step 2: Buy some Sure-Jell, otherwise known as pectin.  This year I decided to go with the low-sugar variety however it was really only a little bit less sugar and I don't think it was quite as good.  If you're making regular jam (i.e., not the freezer-variety, which is more difficult to make and involves "canning") then you can get away with no sugar at all.  

I hate when no matter what you do you can't get the picture to show in the right orientation.

Step 3: Mash up your blackberries.  Make sure not to mash them up too much - you want some whole fruit pieces remaining in there.  I do it a few cups at a time with a potato masher.  A food processor would work too but I don't have one of those.


Step 4:  Measure your sugar into a pan and add your Sure-Jell and mix it up.  In my case I needed 3 cups of sugar.  Make sure to measure EXACTLY and don't skimp on the sugar or else your jam won't set up right (i.e., it'll be runny).  


Step 5:  Add water (measure exactly!) and bring to a boil on medium-high heat STIRRING CONSTANTLY.  Seriously, stir constantly. 


Step 6:  Take the boiling mixture off the heat and add your mashed blackberry mixture immediately.  Stir thoroughly.  

Step 7:  Then pour the mixture into your containers, which you've prepped in advance obviously (i.e., they're clean and dry).  Let sit for 24 hours.  Then pop them in the freezer!


You're done!  Enjoy!  Freezer jam is AWESOME and I eat it on anything and everything.  PB&J of COURSE which is a staple in our house, plus on yogurt, in smoothies, on ice cream (its a seriously delicious topping), and I've been known to eat it by itself on occasion. 

Please tell me you've had freezer jam and you love it too?!  Any tips I've missed?  Is this really only a Pacific Northwest thing?