Friday, May 4, 2012

To Lululemon or Not to Lululemon?

So if you read more than one blog, you've probably figured out that Lululemon Athletica is quite popular amongst runners.  I'll admit it, I'm a Lululemon virgin.  I've never owned or worn a piece of Lululemon gear, and I've never even been in a store.  I have to admit, I was curious.  What's all the fuss about?  Do I really need something with that little funny logo on it to make me a "true" runner?  Is it really the most amazing gear in the world?  Do I really need some "wunder unders"?

So on my recent trip to Vancouver, BC, I drove past one of the few Lululemon Athletica outlet stores (at least in our area, the store itself is fairly rare here) in Burlington, Washington (aka the middle of nowhere).  And this seemed like a perfect opportunity to finally see what all the fuss is about.


In their defense, it was clear that they make high quality stuff.  No question about that.  It's MUCH higher quality than the cheap stuff I buy at Old Navy and Target.  Although I didn't try anything on, I would also imagine it is extremely comfortable, and probably flattering as well.  There was also a bag or two I would definitely buy if I could afford it.  I really liked their bags.

I also found a few things that I was totally interested in.  This skirt was on sale for $29 and I probably would have bought it if they hadn't only had one in stock and it was an XXL.  I love ruffles. 


I totally dug this tank and the material seemed super comfortable.  I loved the criss-cross racerback and the straps were thick and well-made.  But it was $39.  That's a bit much for a tank-top in my book. 


I also liked this beauty of a skirt.  Unfortunately they didn't have my size in this either.  I was really hoping to get a skirt but they didn't have many - the ones they had were obscure sizes. 


So. Let's talk.  Yes, their stuff was cute and yes it seemed well-made and high quality.  But.  You knew that was coming right?  But despite all this, I just can't imagine shelling out $70 for a pair of workout pants, and those were the ones at the OUTLET STORE.  I think I got my last pair of running capri tights (similar in style) for $9 on the clearance rack at Old Navy.  The pair before that I got at JC Penny for $5 after a $10 off coupon.  You get my drift.  This store is not for me.  Now, if someone wanted to give me a shopping spree to Lululemon, I'm sure I would quickly change my tune.  There was lots of stuff that was cute that you wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard to wear.  And the bags.  The bags were freaking adorable.  But they were also $99.  So there's that.  When it comes down to wearing Lululemon or buying a race entry, I think you know where my loyalties lie.  Which is why I constantly look like a scrub. 

I hope you don't hate me now, I'm not trying to hate on Lululemon!  Who will never come back to my blog because of this post?!

What do you really think about Lululemon?  Yay or nay?  What do you have from there that you love?  Is the stuff really worth the price?  So comfortable?  Convince me!