Friday, July 13, 2012

Is An "Ultra" In My Future?

Okay okay, I know many of you might barely even consider a 50k race an "ultra", but I certainly do!  And I don't even know WHY I am suddenly finding myself perusing the websites of the likes of the Point Defiance 50k, the Cougar Mountain 50k, the Chuckanut 50k, etc.  You get my drift?  I blame Lindsay


Honestly, I don't even know if I LIKE marathon training, but that's a whole post all it's own.  So why am I crazed enough to think I want to run 5 miles above and beyond a marathon (a 50k is about 31 miles, for those of you that don't know).  AND I want to run said race on TRAILS?  I've trail-ran about 4 times in my whole entire life, although I definitely blame the last time, because it was GLORIOUS.  I have no clue what I'm doing out there.  But I LOVED all 4 times I've done it.  So I think that is the appeal. 

Trail running = gloriousness, see? 

I especially don't know why I'm so interested in this, considering my complete lack of motivation for running anything over 6 miles.  During marathon training I felt like crap pretty much since my 20 miler (even though the 20 miler itself went well) and on, with my legs feeling like I have anvils attached to them and side stitches galore. 

 This is how I felt running 26 miles.  Why in the world would I want to run 31?  Good question.

But still... the appeal definitely remains.  And what if I could con others into doing this with me??  I know that is the key, because that's why I don't trail run more often - trail running alone is scary and there's no way my husband will let me do it.  I need some trail running buddies.  So are you in???!!!  GO SIGN UP!

Who's going to sign up for the Defiance 50k (or 15k or 30k!) with me?  Tell me all your tips for trail running!  Have you done an ultra?  How did you train?  Do you think I can half-ass it?  Because that's what I'm leaning towards right now...  That sounds like a horrible idea even just typing it!