Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Week I Only Ran 4 Miles

I’ve been taking this whole “recovery” business seriously.  VERY seriously.  We’re talking laying on the couch watching the Olympic Trials 24/7 serious.  Except the West coast got totally screwed with JUST having swimming coverage on nightly and having to record the track coverage on NBC Sports at 2am in the morning.  That’s crap.  
 
And did you guys watch the gymnastics trials over the weekend?  I love me some women’s gymnastics, let me tell you.  Nastia Liukin, I salute you.   


Rebecca Bross, who had knee surgery and fell twice on the uneven bars – I sobbed for you. 

And don’t even get me started on Dara Torres.  You are my ultimate hero.  


I digress.  I did one small 4.3 mile run this week, and that was IT in terms of running.  I did do a bit more in terms of general exercise, but seriously, not much.  Instead I ate Red Robin burgers.

That’s right.  You get a free Red Robin burger during the month of your birthday, so JMan and I waited until the last possible minute and then indulged in some delicious peppercorn burger goodness.  Get in my belly. source

So, just to recap:

Monday – I did NOTHING.  Nothing nothing nothing.  Except watch the Olympic Trials, of course.

Tuesday – Uhh, nothing?  I think I ate something delicious.  

Wednesday – My first real exercise.  I met Jordanne at Cedar River Trail for some biking.  We did 13.5 miles in a little over an hour and then she headed home, but it was such a gorgeous day that I couldn’t bear leaving already, so I pumped out a few more miles (my quads were so ready to be done by the end!) – 22.86 miles in 1:42. 

Thursday – Tennis match (doubles).  I thought I was 100% better when just walking around, but when I got to my doubles tennis match and had to run down my first ball I knew I was in trouble.  My left hamstring was still sooo tight and my legs in general weren’t exactly feeling “springy”.  My poor partner.  I do not think she was too pleased with my performance.  And we proceeded to lose quickly 6-2, 6-2.  Sorry partner.  

Friday – Hit the pool for the first time in a long time.  Started feeling a bit nauseous halfway in though, so couldn’t complete the whole mile I intended to.  32 laps, so 1,600 yards in about 35 minutes. 

Saturday – My first run since the marathon!  Headed out with Jordan, Rachael, Frankie, and Cooper (a fun group affair!) and did about 4.3 miles with some walking.  Rachael is still running at 38 weeks pregnant and is the ULTIMATE inspiration.  She climbed those hills faster than I did at that.  SHE ROCKS!

Sunday – TONS of walking, both on the roads garage-sale-ing and on the beach.  

So, there you have it.  A full week of recovery.  And I’m still not feeling all the way back.  Spoiler alert: I ran on Monday and it did NOT feel good.  So I think I may need another week of recovery?  :-) Which requires more delicious food, of course.  

What’s your recovery strategy?