Friday, March 9, 2012

Dom, D Dom Dom DOMS!!!

In case you couldn't figure it out, that title is in a scary musical theme.  Like the killer is coming around the corner and THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!


Anyway, Sunday's half marathon left me so incredibly ridiculously sore, I can't even describe it.  DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness, for those of you lucky enough not to know, it's the muscle soreness that typically comes on 24 to 72 hours after acute exercise) can sometimes be alleviated by ice baths, hot baths, exercise, massage, etc., but in this case there was nothing to be done, it was that bad.  I was trying to think of the last time I felt so horribly sore and it was definitely way back in 2010.  Then I thought of all the times I'd EVER been this sore and decided it was in the top 5 sorest times OF ALL TIME.  The times included on this list include (these are in order of date, not soreness, as the pain is too great to categorize):
  1. My first race ever, a half marathon in November, 2003, which I did without training for.  This is a story for another day, but let's just say I was not even a runner yet, and it. was. horrible. 
  2. My first full marathon in June 2008.
  3. My half marathon PR which I got in June 2010.
  4. My second full marathon in October 2010.  
  5. Now this, the notorious Lincoln City half marathon of March 2012. 
Too dramatic?
Thomas Leeming & Co.’s Ben-Gay – If Peter Pain hammers you and sore muscles scream... (1946)
source     This is a real poster.  Can you believe it?

Anyway, although my legs in general were kind of screaming, this pain is mostly featured in my quads and quads alone.  I cannot walk up or down stairs, but down especially is a killer.  Which is unfortunate because my office is on the 3rd floor.  I've definitely gotten some weird stares at work.  I was finally able to attempt running again last night, and though I pumped out 6 miles with Lisa, it was not enjoyable.  Every step sent a spasm right to my quads.    

In other news, even though I rarely win anything, I actually won a Chick Band from Becoming a Mother Runner!  Thanks BaMR Nicole!  I picked red, since it's my favorite color.  Now you know one more exciting thing about me.  I was very excited to receive it in the mail and put it on right away.  It's the perfect size, it stays in place, it doesn't hurt, and it's sparkly!  You can see all the awesome designs they have here.


Anyone have any suggestions to avoid this quad soreness in the future?  What's the sorest you've ever been and what caused it?