Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Hunger Games & A Rainy Windy Run

While I was dying to go see Hunger Games at midnight on Thursday like some of the rest of you crazies, I knew it would probably literally kill me.  But don't you worry your pretty little minds, people throw rocks at things that shine, I still made the movie a top priority.  When we arrived in Las Vegas Friday night, JMan made fun of Molly and I because the very first thing we wanted to do on our mini-vacation was sit in the hotel room and peruse the extremely amazing magazine Molly brought.

Look at this rock star of a People magazine Molly brought along.  I knew I liked her for a reason. 

This was the special edition magazine we were fawning all over.

So on Saturday morning while the boys were still sleeping we headed out bright and early to see the movie.  I'm assuming most of you have seen it by now, I purposely waited on posting this just to make sure (aw, look how thoughtful I am!), and although there's no spoilers below, if you want to know NOTHING about the movie skip the next two paragraphs. 

I don’t think I’ll spoil it for you though by saying I LOVED IT.  Wow.  I was in a complete state of panic / anxiety / fear / tears for the entire 2.5 hours, which I thought was impressive given that I already knew what was going to happen.   For once, I actually thought the movie did an excellent job of bringing the tone and feel of the book to life, TWO THUMBS UP!  I stand by my previous statement though, you should NEVER read the book within a month or two of seeing the movie.  Leandrea and her husband had JUST read the book within the last few weeks and they had a lot of complaints about the movie, but I didn’t even remember any of the plot lines they were mad about not happening, since I read it about 9 months ago. 


Things I didn’t like about the movie version of the Hunger Games: I thought they did a poor job portraying how unsure you are about Peeta’s loyalty in the beginning.  There could have been a bit more character and relationship development for Peeta and Katniss overall.  And finally, I don't know why it bothered me so much, but I really hated the way Katniss got the mockingjay pin.  I understand why they wanted to skip over the business with the mayor's daughter but I feel like Katniss' character wouldn't have wasted precious money on buying the pin.  Other than that though, in terms of my whole book vs. movie battle I was quite pleased!  I was all hopped up on Hunger Games excitement the rest of the day, and my lovely husband made sure to say “Happy Hunger Games!” to many strangers, which was quite funny.

In running news, on Wednesday I met Jordanne for a rainy, windy run.  In that order.  On the drive there it was POURING but luckily it was just regular raining by the time I got to the meeting place.  So for the first 3 miles it was raining on us pretty steadily.  I saw a HUGE dead frog in the middle of the road and screamed.  Typical. 

This is EXACTLY what the dead frog looked like.  Now you know why I screamed.  source

After 3 miles we turned around, and it stopped raining!  And then the WIND started.  We realized why we were easily racking up sub 9 minute miles on the way out, apparently the wind was majorly helping us along.  So the 3 miles back kind of sucked.


And there you have it, 6.4 miles in 59:25 (AP 9:16). 

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Did you go see Hunger Games?  What did you think?  Do you ever scream when you see dead frogs?