Friday, March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games in the Epic Book vs. Movie Battle

Yesterday I got an amazing tutu-torial shout-out from the lovely Run DMT.  Go check it out and tell her how cute she looks in her tutu!

Who else has read and loved The Hunger Games?!  It's coming to theaters near you this weekend, did you know?  I bet you did.  You may even be my hero if you went to see it at midnight last night.  


With Hunger Games coming out this weekend, it raises the on-going issue of books vs. movies, which is better?  I don't know about you, but I have met few movies that were as satisfying as their book counterparts.  These include:

The entire Harry Potter series.  You already know about my professed love of Harry Potter, especially when read by Jim Dale (he rocks).  The movies though, especially 1-5, were kind of a joke.  #5 was pretty much the worst movie of all time.  Movies #6, #7a, and #7b improved dramatically, especially in terms of special effects and such, these three finally seemed like "real" movies.  JMan and I are already discussing how we're going to remake all these movies in 10 years and actually make them amazing this time.

HP5: worst movie of all time.  source

The Twilight series.  I feel like these movies make no sense to people who haven't read the book.  Don't tear me apart for having had read these!


The Kite Runner.  Although I liked this book I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns even better, THAT'S the one they should have made into a movie.


The Time Traveler's Wife.  I ADORE this book.  I know some people don't like it, but I absolutely love it and have read it more than once (which is saying something, because I NEVER read or watch anything more than once).  I was really looking forward to the movie because I love Rachel McAdams, but the movie was ridiculously bad.  I guess portraying time travel is difficult?!


One Day.  I also loved this book (and it totally reminded me of Time Traveler's Wife).  The movie was okay, but poor Anne Hathaway and her atrocious fake accent, that needed some work.


The Help.  This movie was actually decent, they did a good job in adaptation.  As with the rest of these books, I simply must accept that it is impossible to turn all 600 pages of a book into a movie - some important things will get left behind.  I think the trick to liking the movie is to have not read the book for a long time, then you have forgotten all the parts they leave out! 


The only movie I ever remember thinking was actually BETTER than the book was The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  In this movie I actually wished I didn't know the ending, because it was suspenseful and well-done and I was sad I knew "who-dun-it".  I didn't really like this book that much though so this might have something to do with it?!


Finally, I've mentioned my love of Wicked before, but Wicked the play is an AMAZING example of better-as-a-play-than-as-a-book.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Wicked but the book was just okay.  The changes they made (to make the ending a bit happier!) were much appreciated.  See it if you haven't!


So what do you think will happen with Hunger Games?  Will the movie live up to the book's name?  Are you going to see it?  At midnight on opening day?  In costume?!