Monday, April 2, 2012

Seattle RnR Marathon Training Week #2

Week #2 (of 14) of training for the Seattle Rock n Roll Marathon is in the books!  You can read about week #1 here.  


As you can see the plan is actually only 13 weeks long - I started a week early.  I wanted an extra week to play around with in case of mini-injuries (knock on wood!), sickness, just not feelin' it, etc.  14% done!  So far, so good!

Except the weather forecast for this week still looked like this:

Do you see that?  7 days of rain?  Yep.  I've still got issues with the weather.  

I executed the running part of my week pretty well (not 100%, failed on speedwork unfortunately).  Cross-training could be improved.  Here's how my week looked:

Monday - 37 minutes on the hotel elliptical in Vegas

Tuesday - A big fat REST day.  I was supposed to run 6 miles but the pouring rain made me too sad.  And this monster of a blister that happened thanks to my Glitter Tom's made every single step felt like a dagger stabbing my heel.

 Oh, had you just eaten?  Did you throw up a little bit?  Sorry for not warning you. 

Wednesday - 6.4 miles at Interurban Trail with Jordanne in 59:29 (AP: 9:17)

Thursday - Not much.  It's not all my fault.  We're in this weird place right now where our membership at the gym just ran out and JMan may have the hook-up through his work for a new, better gym.  So I'm in limbo.  I ran about a mile at Girls on the Run practice and did some random push-ups and such but nothing to write home about.

Friday - 3 horrible miles in the morning.  HORRIBLE.  I had 2-3 x 1 mile repeats on the agenda, with McMillan telling me I should be doing them in 7:06 (yeah right, I knew there was no chance of this).  I figured 7:30 was more realistic.  Well, after just ONE completed in a whopping 7:57, I had the worst side ache of all time, felt slightly nauseous, and knew this run was over.  I trudged along in complete torture until I hit 3 miles, went home, and called it a day.

Then I ended up getting to my tennis match a bit early in the evening, so I busted out 3 more hilly miles in about 28 minutes (I didn't have a Garmin so I have no idea how far it really was).  At least I did my 6 total I guess.

Sights seen on my run included cherry blossoms, historical societies, and fantastically ridiculous houses in the nicest neighborhood I've ever seen.  

There's proof.  Historical societies and cherry blossoms.

JMan - Why don't we live in a house like this?  Seriously, is that too much to ask?  I think not.

I also played 1 hour 40 minutes of grueling tennis, Friday was a busy workout day.

Saturday - 51 boring minutes on the recumbent bike.  I probably burnt 50 calories, but at least I felt like I did something.  Plus then I hula-hooped and played with bubbles with my nieces and nephew for hours.  That's got to count for something right?

Sunday - 15 glorious miles in 2:19:43 (AP: 9:15), including the Seahawks 12k.  Recap about that tomorrow.

Total miles for the week: 27.5.  Pretty good!

Now, I rest!

 The family all cozy and resting.   

I need to get the gym situation figured out so I can get back on the cross-training wagon.  But I think I really need to focus on strength-training for my legs - my legs are what is tired after a long run, definitely not my lungs.  So why am I doing so much cardio?  Uh, because I like it way better, duh.  But I don't need it, I need strength training.

Happy Monday everyone!

How did you do this week?  Is your weather better than mine?  I hope so.  What did you do this weekend?