Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Flashback: 2010 Couer d'Alene Half Marathon

So you all know about Sunday Flashback by now.  Where we last left off I had recovered from my stress fracture turned full fracture and ran my first big race back: the 2010 Atlanta Half Marathon.  I had some more shin scares (these continue on pretty much until now!) but was able to run the Couer D'Alene Half Marathon with Rachael two months later in May - her first half marathon!  I was so happy to get to share that with her.  And here's the recap (it's much shorter than some of the others)!

I did the Couer D'Alene Half Marathon with Rachael this morning and it was great!  Perfect weather, perfect race, this felt great especially after the mini injury I had a few weeks ago [more shin issues].  Felt tight the first 3 miles and was a little worried (I was really worried I wouldn't be able to maintain that pace the whole time and was going to be walking later!), but then I hit my stride and just got in the zone. :-) 





And then we finished!
Total Time: 1:54:41     Average Pace: 8:42
Splits: 8:27, 8:36, 8:37, 8:41, 8:44, 8:50, 8:59, 8:49, 8:47, 8:51, 8:48, 8:41, 8:17


Didn't Rachael DOMINATE her first half?   So proud of Rachael!

I took a Gu at miles 6 and 10, and that seemed to really help.  I was so surprised at how fast we ran - this is not how fast I've been training at ALL!  Overall this was really a great race - it was extremely flat, ran along the beautiful Coeur D'Alene lake and saw some gorgeous mansion/castle homes.  We should definitely do it again next year!  The race overall was pretty small, so it was definitely a race you would want to do with someone else, especially if you were planning on doing the full marathon.  The "expo" included a bounce house and the packet pick-up and that was pretty much it.  After worrying about the predicted terrible weather all week it actually stayed dry for the entire race. 

Afterwards we had an absolutely fabulous brunch and went walking on the boardwalk picking out all the yachts we will own when we're rich and famous.  Righhtttt.  


What a fabulous batch of best friends!

The whole weekend was just a blast.  I love Couer D'Alene.  We should move here!  We went golfing twice, virtual golfing once, to a delicious brunch, a delicious bbq, had a camp fire, ran the race, played cards, walked the boardwalk and pretended to look at $600,000 yachts, shopped for the 80's party next weekend, drove about 12 hours (should have been 9 but the traffic both ways was baaaaaaad).  Overall, GREAT holiday 3-day weekend! 

See - much shorter race report than normal!  I still love Couer D'Alene and kind of want to move there.  Don't worry, there's not that many more of these race recaps!  You're getting close to the end!  :-)


Happy Sunday!  What are you up to today?  Doing anything fun?