Friday, April 27, 2012

Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Cheesesteaks!

This post could also be titled Philadelphia Part II (after yesterday's Part I post).  I took SO many pictures in just one day, it's ridiculous.  I apologize but I have to post them.  If you're sick of Philly pics - come back tomorrow!

So I really did love Philly - I could see myself living there.  I've been to Washington D.C. many times for work and love D.C., and it reminded me of being there - so much history!  So unfortunately I really only had that one long running tour and then one measly lunch break to see the city, but I saw as much as I could!  I was also very open to suggestions - twitter is the best for getting random travel advice!

Thanks @bentehoule!  I did this on my running tour. 

Sights seen included:

1) The Hard Rock Cafe, which granted isn't much of a sight, but check out that huge guitar!


2) Some statues of famous people who aren't really that famous since I'd never heard of them:


3) Really old famous buildings:


4) The Old City Hall, where the U.S. Supreme Court met between 1791 and 1800 (thank you sign for actually teaching me something!):


The Old City Hall from the outside.  It doesn't really look over 200 years old!


And where the actual Supreme Court met on the inside:


5) And finally, what you've all been waiting for: The Liberty Bell!  My phone camera was acting up so you only get the side without the crack. 


Since it was my lunch break I stopped to get some actual lunch.  And I do what my tweet friends tell me too.  Thanks @MarshallOram!


Done.  I ate a famous Philly Cheesesteak from a street cart.  And it was good.  And totally healthy. 


@Sallaboutme told me to go to some place called Reading Terminal Market.  Lucky for me I happened upon it by accident!  What are the chances of that?



And it did NOT disappoint.  Too bad I had just eaten that cheesesteak!  It was ridiculous - every kind of food you've ever wanted, people watching central, all kinds of interesting things to look at, pretty much Pike Place on steroids, and much more eating centered.  I HIGHLY recommend it. 


Although I had already eaten lunch I managed to force myself to choke down some ice cream.  Ha.  They had a PBJ flavor that I was really excited about and I seriously nearly cried when I ordered it and they were sold out.  So I drowned my sorrows in some Egg Nog (very timely, but I love me some egg nog) and Peanut Butter Swirl. 


And as if I couldn't eat anymore, then I had to follow Shawna's advice. 


Okay, so I didn't eat at Pat's or Gino's, but that's some advice for you fellow travelers!  But I did have a Philly soft pretzel:


And my lunch break tour was over!  So sad.  I need to go back to Philly for a real trip sometime.  Seriously, look at that view:


Finally - go enter to win a Danskin Triathlon entry from Running, Loving, Living!  I STILL somehow haven't done a triathlon and it's totally on my list so I really hope I win!

Have you ever been to Philly?  Have any advice for anyone who goes there?  HAPPY FRIDAY!  What fun weekend plans do you have?  I have been going nonstop and am so happy to spend the weekend at home.